WinCE Squeak

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Tue Feb 22 03:45:42 UTC 2000

Edward,

[Note: I'm writing this reply at home so I can't check anything out]

> My z50 has the standard 16MB memory, and I loaded WinCE
> Squeak into a 32MB CF card. When I start Squeak, it prompts
> for an image file, then announces it can't *find* the source
> at <pathname which is exactly where the source should be>.
> Not a real problem, but I would like to do some real
> development on this machine, and eventually want to use
> the sources.  Does it not find the source,
> or is it that memory is too small to map it all in?

It *probably* does not find the source. There is no attempt to actually map
the entire sources file into memory (which would be a ridiculous attempt on
this machine anyways ;-) I'll have a look at it tomorrow but if Squeak does
not complain about the changes file then there is obviously some problem
with the sources file itself. Ah ... that reminds me of something: Flashcard
quality. It could be possible that the flash card has a read error when
Squeak attempts to open the source file and this would probably be reported
as a missing sources file. You might try to view the sources file in the
file list and see if that works. If not, it's likely to be the flashcard.

> Only the left mouse button works. What I mean by an input
> handler is the piece of  platform-specific code that actually
> collects input events on behalf of the interpreter.
> Currently, it seems to assume a touchscreen, which has no
> buttons, no pointer, no "clicking" (mouse-down / mouse-up)
> events.  There must be a way to distinguish between a touchscreen
> and a mouse, and then "do the right thing".

Strange ... IIRC, this actually worked on our machine. We had no problems to
play around with most stuff including Morphic and the Scripting system
(e.g., drag and drop, painting, and similar actions).

> Although I can use Alt-Left Button to bring up an action menu
> for selected text, why not the right button?  Neither I nor Blair
> know (yet) how to emulate the middle button.

We noticed some problems with reporting some of the special keys like Alt. I
will have to check this out.

> As far as the cursor problem, it never changes into a
> scribbling pen or pair of glasses or funny little ST-80
> scrollbar arrows, so I can't tell if it's thinking or dead,
> or what direction it will scroll in.  It's just a big fat
> Microsoft arrow that covers up too much real estate.

That's true. I believe that this behavior originates back to Blair's
original port (which was supposed to be for WinCE 1.0) and older versions of
WinCE did not support any cursor except the arrow and the wait cursor. Seems
like it's time to fix this.

  Andreas