Are Segments like vw parcels?

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Mon Feb 7 17:14:02 UTC 2000

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Mathieu vanEchtelt wrote:

> hello,
> On my pc I found a directory called squeak27-segs with two files:
> playwithme-6-1.seg and playwithme-7-1.seg. I can't find anything about
> segments on the swiki website. About a year ago or so I think I read
> something from Dan Ingalls about segments. Is their any information left of
> it somewhere on the web? Aren't segments ment to become something like
> VW-parcels?

They can be used to implement parcels - but they are more.

Usually you have one big fat image, which is where all objects live. Now
you can partition the image into segments that are separately stored on
disk and only swapped back in when needed (that is, when an object inside
a segment gets sent a message).

  -Bert-