How Do You Do Business Apps?

demiourgos at smalltalk.org demiourgos at smalltalk.org
Sat Feb 26 19:14:56 UTC 2000

On Sat, 26 February 2000, Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:

> At 06:48 25.02.00 -0500, you wrote:
> >>For business applications, I'd recommend to stay with Dolphin ST.  Its
> >>application framework (called MVP - Model View Presenter) is IMHO one of
> >>the best things invented for Smalltalk.  Squeak has nothing comparable
> (yet).
> >
> >This is certainly true.  OTOH, it will be just as difficult to evolve
> >a Dolphin application to run on a Macintosh, Unix, or on any of the
> >other myriad formats on which Squeak is supported.
>
> Andrew, I think you missundestood my point.  I was refering just to
> Dolphin's MVP pattern here.  I think, the original poster didn't say
> anything about different platforms but mentioned only Dolphin which, that
> is true, only run on Windows.
>
> I'd say that porting MVP to Squeak is much easier than trying to port
> Dolphin to any other platform as this is highly connected to the Windows
> API using its foreign function interface instead of abstracting
> functionality in primitives (as for example VisualWorks did).

[snip]

So, why not do Morphic in Dolphin, too?

  --jtg

  Jan Theodore Galkowski          algebraist.com/
  www.whysmalltalk.com/        www.smalltalk.org/
  demiourgos at smalltalk.org       marssociety.org/
  PGP Key Fingerprint: 2757 F86D AA51 677D 38D7
                       964B 9A8D 7852 A494 3790
  Get my Public Key from my home page at:
      http://algebraist.com/