[newbie] clipped method display in system browser

Jerry Balzano gjbalzano at ucsd.edu
Fri Feb 25 22:02:41 UTC 2000

Hi - Being a "newbie" I have hesitated to report this, but since (a) I have
replicated it on multiple machines, with multiple downloads of squeak 2.7,
and since (b) it is interfering (psychologically at least) with my ability
to learn Squeak, here goes:

I have downloaded Squeak 2.7 (2.6 has same problem for me BTW) on my iMac
and also on several G3 Macs and one 7300/200 PowerMac at the University
where I work, and in all cases I find that browsing certain methods gives
me a curiously clipped display in the the bottom pane.  Examples:

(1)
When I try to browse the * method belonging to the class Integer, the
bottom pane starts:

	o the comment in Number * "

whereas the full method listing should begin:

* aNumber
	"Refer to the comment in Number * "

(2)
When I try to browse the drawOn: method belonging to the class
BackgroundMorph, the bottom pane starts:

	he tiling is solely determined

whereas the full method listing should begin:

drawOn: aCanvas
	"The tiling is solely determined

(The way I know what the full listing should look like is because I
downloaded Squeak 2.7 on an IBM-PC and read it there.)

So apparently, the first line and a bit of the second line of some methods
(not clear why which ones are affected) have mysteriously disappeared.

I should mention as an addendum that just before sending this note I copied
the Squeak folder onto a G3 iMac with a gigantic monitor (don't know exact
dims, sorry), and everything looks fine there (!).  But changing the screen
resolution on the other Macs (640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, etc.) doesn't
help.  I mention this to give all the information I have, but also to
caution that there is at least one Mac (i.e. "a G3 iMac with a gigantic
monitor") for which the problem I report here doesn't show up.

I would be grateful for any light/heat/help/sound/fury anyone could shed on
this problem for me.

				-Jerry Balzano

Dr. Gerald J. Balzano
Dept of Music
Teacher Education Program
Laboratory for Comparative Human Cognition
Cognitive Science Program
UC San Diego
La Jolla, CA 92093
(619) 822-0092