Type Safety (was Re: fun and empowerment)

Doug Way dway at mat.net
Wed Feb 2 07:04:33 UTC 2000

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Duane Maxwell wrote:

> Perhaps SqC will someday see fit to set the file types of these files to
> something a little less likely to provoke's UnStuffIt's friskiness.

Assuming this works, maybe our good friend (and download curator) Bruce
O'Neel might be able to do this?  (Does setting the file type to something
other than 'TEXT' actually prevent this problem?)  Bruce? :-}

Of course, some sort of automatic Squeak-based check would be even better
(as Les suggested), but at least short-term, fixing the file type in the
Mac download would be easy.

Ultimately, I think this is mostly Squeak's problem, and we should do
something about it one way or the other... downloading & starting Squeak
should be a worry-free operation.  (People will download Squeak before
they ever sign up for this list, or check the Swiki, so the fix needs to
be at the source...)

- Doug Way
  dway at mat.net