[ANN] instant messaging beta...

Dino deanmao at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Feb 12 20:16:59 UTC 2000

Stephan Rudlof wrote:

> Dino,
>
> I have problems running your examples; evaluating
>         MessagingClient2 example
> (with network) and then pressing the 'Connect' button results in a crash
> with call stack

Hmmm...  odd.  Try getting your own AIM account from www.aim.aol.com and
try to run it like this instead:

MessagingClient2 aimName: <aim name> aimPasswd: <aim password>

Are you using version 0.9c?  0.9b doesn't work too well.  'IMUser
version' returns the version number.

> I'm very interested in a ready to run example to try IWIN without any
> network connections on just the localhost; to take a look at the object
> messaging functionality without any network fiddling. Is this difficult?

It isn't really possible to run IWIN without a network connection
because it uses AIM and ICQ to determine if another user is using IWIN
also.  (It sends an authentication message to another IWIN user via
AIM/ICQ)

The purpose of IWIN is for Squeak to have additional instant messaging
capabilities on top of older protocols which are still compatible with
non-squeak users.