Nifty O 'Scamper' Goodie

Warren Postma wpostma at ztr.com
Thu Feb 17 21:26:53 UTC 2000

I had a toddler-style Smalltalk breakthrough today.

I found Scamper in the class list, puzzled out how to "open it" and finally
realized I should type this in and
hit Alt-D:

sc _ Scamper new openAsMorph.

Wowzers. Nice trick. Needs work, but it's a good demo. I can load a simple
web page, and then
rotate the title picture courtesy of those Morphic 'halo' doodads.  Very
nice.

A little nice-to-have feature for the Squeak VM that newbies play with is a
"program manager" (remember windows 3.1) that can instantiate objects from
icons, and which dump out on the bottom line of the screen the command you
would type to do the same thing so you can learn some smalltalk while
double-clicking your way around.  I think I might try to write one. Sounds
like an entry-level goodie type task.

Warren