Mac file types, was Re: Type Safety (was Re: fun and empowerment)

Duane Maxwell dmaxwell at entrypoint.com
Wed Feb 2 18:55:10 UTC 2000

You might try 'ttro' - this is the type used by SimpleText (nee TeachText)
to indicate a 'read-only' text file - those are the files that look like
folded-up newspapers.  Seems appropriate for the sources file.  StuffIt
shouldn't touch it, but it means that most text editors won't open it
either, and  it will display an error dialog upon opening (>32 K - the
limit for SimpleText).

Ideally, the entire Squeak suite on Mac should follow the rules, including
setting up app/doc icons, bundles, and file refs, so that images will
naturally open the VM, appropriate document descriptions show up in Get
Info, etc.  It's rather un-Macish to be so generic.

If you'd like some help with this, I can certainly assist.  I've shipped
many commercial Mac applications, and have this sort of thing down.  All
you'll really have to do is include some resources and set the "bundle" bit
in the application.

>Hi,
>  Of course, things would work better if we'd change the file types on
>the .sources and .changes files to something other than 'TEXT' in terms
>of unexpanding them.  Does this break anything else in the system?
>
>  So, does someone have a good idea for the type to use? I tried
>a search on apple.com and wasn't sucessful beyond the table in
>http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/mac/Toolbox/Toolbox-447.html.
>There seems to be a product called TCDB at http://tcdp.tripod.com.
>Apple, according to http://devworld.apple.com/dev/cftype/ doesn't
>register the types any more.

Duane Maxwell          dmaxwell (at) entrypoint.com
CTO                       http://www.entrypoint.com
EntryPoint, Inc.    (858)348-3040  FAX(858)348-3100

Information contained herein is my personal opinion
     and not necessarily that of EntryPoint.