How Do You Do Business Apps?

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Sat Feb 26 11:15:11 UTC 2000

At 06:48 25.02.00 -0500, you wrote:
>>For business applications, I'd recommend to stay with Dolphin ST.  Its
>>application framework (called MVP - Model View Presenter) is IMHO one of
>>the best things invented for Smalltalk.  Squeak has nothing comparable
(yet).

>This is certainly true.  OTOH, it will be just as difficult to evolve
>a Dolphin application to run on a Macintosh, Unix, or on any of the
>other myriad formats on which Squeak is supported.

Andrew, I think you missundestood my point.  I was refering just to
Dolphin's MVP pattern here.  I think, the original poster didn't say
anything about different platforms but mentioned only Dolphin which, that
is true, only run on Windows.

I'd say that porting MVP to Squeak is much easier than trying to port
Dolphin to any other platform as this is highly connected to the Windows
API using its foreign function interface instead of abstracting
functionality in primitives (as for example VisualWorks did).

>From my experience, cross-platform isn't important for all users, actually
only for a small percentage.  Even most Java programmers don't care.
People choose Java for different reasons (whether they're valid or not
doesn't matter), "cause everybody else is doing Java" probably among the
top ten.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  Bevor wir fallen, fallen wir lieber auf.