Squeaklets: on nomenclature

Jeff Szuhay jeffs at pstnet.com
Tue Feb 8 19:22:45 UTC 2000

Well, I think of them as extensions or plug-ins
if Squeak is either the OS or just an application environment,
this makes sense to me.

I'm thinking along the lines of, say, flavor enhancers...
sprinkles, spices, toppings: stuff that's added onto to a
thing to change/enhance the experience of it.

For that matter, that could be called Squeak morsels.
Not quite as cutesy as "chicklets" but the same idea.

I don't like the applet/servlet idea because that is tightly
bound to the concept of client-network-server type of
computing. What if someone comes up with an "Uber-OS"
that unites various machines across the network, essentially
making the network disappear ... then applet/servlet have
no meaning. Unless, of course, you are a vendor who sells
servers and pluggable applications and want to keep peddling
your wares.

I could live with Squeklets but that would not be my
optimal choice.

What are baby mice called (but that's not quite the right
concept, either).

8-)

    Jeff Szuhay                <mailto:jeffs at pstnet.com>
    Lead Macintosh Engineer    voice: 412/271-5040 x 227
    Psychology Software Tools  <http://www.pstnet.com/>