Database connectivity anyone?

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Tue Feb 15 16:21:22 UTC 2000

Hi!

I'm still trying to establish Squeak/Comanche as an alternative to Java
Servlets at my office.  Even a Sun partner and Java company should have
Smalltalk knowledge I think ;-)  However, it's crucial for all but trivial
projects that we can access relational databases from within Squeak.

I'm thinking about two systems at the moment: MySQL is a nice simple
database which would IMHO fit very well to Squeak.  Oracle is probably the
most important professional system one has to support.

Is there any kind of database connectivity already or is somebody working
on this?  As there's a free and 100% Java driver for MySQL I'd assume that
you probably can immitate that driver and use TCP/IP to access a MySQL
server.  Right?  Perhaps the FFI could be used to access Oracle.  A common
database abstraction layer, similar to VisualWork's EXDI (or Java's JDBC)
would be very handy however.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  Bevor wir fallen, fallen wir lieber auf.