PDF parser

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Sun Feb 6 19:03:00 UTC 2000

Hi!

Some time ago, I got interested in the PDF format and studied Adobe's PDF
reference manual.  I wrote a PDF parser which can create an object
representation of PDF files (for example for the 5 MB PDF file of the
official specification).  You can even write them back as correct files
(without the history though).

However, I stopped working on the stuff when it came to creating or
manipulating the PDF object structure.  Too complicated for a weekend
project I decided.  Alone the correct font handling covers more than 30
pages in the specification.

I was dreaming about some code that could be used to create valid PDF
files, for example

pdf := PDFDocument new.
pdf setAuthor: 'sma'.
pdf newPage: #A4.
someMorph drawOn: pdf canvas.
pdf close.

(FileStream fileNamed: 'abc.pdf') doAndClose: [:f | pdf printOn: f]

but this is still a dream.  If anybody wants to take over this, I'll
happily hand over my code. Please expect GPL as license or convince me for
some other license agreement.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  Bevor wir fallen, fallen wir lieber auf.