[Q] I/O port control

Tansel Ersavas tansel at rase.com
Fri Feb 4 20:26:58 UTC 2000

Jeff Szuhay wrote:

> I have a project which I would like to do in Squeak where
> I need to access and control serial, parallel, USB, etc. I/O
> ports.

Serial port is supported already (see class SerialPort).
Implementing parallel on Win95 and Win98 is trivial, you need to
write a plugin that accesses the printer ports directly. I am not
sure if that code will work on Linux but I suspect it will with
minor modifications. Bear in mind that IO port access is different
in different C compilers.
NT Does not allow programs to access ports directly but there are
companies out there offering DLLS that use device drivers to help
access these ports. Whatever you do about the parallel port will
be OS dependent.

Here are a few links that'll get you started

http://www.lvr.com/parport.htm

This one also refers to books and has links to resources for all types
of I/O stuff.

http://www.tm.agilent.com/tmo/pia/HPVEE/PIASupp/software/English/HPVEE_Win32_95PPIO.html
http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~ih/doc/par/

If you want to get full advantages of USB that to me seems like a
lengthy work.

> I remember some mention of this on the list earlier but
> I'm wondering what are specifics. I thought they were
> platform specific primitves but I would like to know more.
>
> TIA
>
> Jeff 8-)
>
> --
>     Jeff Szuhay                <mailto:jeffs at pstnet.com>
>     Lead Macintosh Engineer    voice: 412/271-5040 x 227
>     Psychology Software Tools  <http://www.pstnet.com/>

Cheers

Tansel