Squeak (ST80) syntax

Gerardo Richarte core.lists.squeak at core-sdi.com
Wed Feb 16 20:38:33 UTC 2000

Dan Ingalls wrote:

> Yes.  We refer to this as "implicit self".  Alan is the strongest proponent of this appraoch in our group, actually, and SELF works this way as well.  We seriously considered this also back in ST-74 (!).  The two things that have prevented enthusiastic adoption of this approach are...

    erm... (free spanish course)
    I have something else to say about this... In spanish we have something called
"sujeto tácito [tácito] [tacito]" which can (?) be translated as "tacit subject" or
"missing subject" or better "implicit subject". It's a construct in our language (I think
partuguese and other latin languages has it too, but english and german don't). As the
verb is conjugated for every person, we don't need to say "I", or "it". An example:

    It is THE SAME to say "Yo como papas" [I eat potatoes] than "Como papas"
([I] eat potatoes). (actually the first is a little more strong, if it can be said)

    The verb "como" (eat) has an implicit "I" in its conjugation. It (I) como,
(You) comes, (He) come, (We) comemos, (You [plural) comen, (Them) comen.

    So, what?
    We are used to not saying the subject of a sentence, that may be why we consider
implicit self not so disturbing... (may IT be?)

    Changing the subject (just a little)

    When I first learned Logo (my first computer language) 14 yeas ago (I was 11),
I had to say "forward 20" "right 90" "repeat 10 [fw 10. rt 36]"
    Who was I talking to? to the turtle, of course. was I think:

    "self forward 20"
    "self right 90"

    or

    "manuelita forward 20" (manuelita is a tipical turtle's name in argentina)
    "manuelita right 90"

    or just

    "forward 20"    (looking at the triangle)
    "right 20"        (again, looking at the triangle)

    I think (I'm trying to remeber through 14 years) the last one.

    just some other $0.02

    Slow-as-a-turtle bye!
    Richie++

--
A390 1BBA 2C58 D679 5A71 - 86F9 404F 4B53 3944 C2D0
Investigacion y Desarrollo - CoreLabs - Core SDI

--- For a personal reply use gera at core-sdi.com