Squeak's web server

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Tue Feb 8 11:26:15 UTC 2000

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:

> I wonder which is the best web server to use in Squeak.

I'd say Comanche, because noone seems to develop PWS anymore. The latest
version is Comanche 4. ComputerAge is the code name for beta 8 of the
Swiki. Swiki is an independent module for Comanche.

> Is it stable enough for a commercial solution?

Seems pretty solid. With Lex's unix networking primitive fixes on Linux,
that is. Not sure about Mac/NT, though ...

For example, tha main Comanche Swiki at http://seaweed.cc.gatech.edu/docs
has still problems with images, I guess it's a Mac ;-)

[I'm going to move the GSUG Swiki from PWS to Comanche - it's already
running at port 8888]

> I noticed a few problems though: Comanche seems not to support HTTP 0.9
> requests.

I mentioned this on the PWS list. The Swiki Swiki is at
http://pbl.cc.gatech.edu/myswiki - you'll find the mailing list address
there.

> Even if Netscape 4.7 does HTTP/1.0 requests, the response is
> HTTP/1.1.  I'm not sure, but I think a server may not answer with a higher
> protocol number.  And in the HTTPRequest object, there's an entry
> 'onnection' which is probably missing a 'c'.  A parser error?

I think there's a fix for this.

> A GET request /whatever?a=1&a=2 isn't parsed correctly IMHO.  I
> think, the server should remember both values for 'a' (Java servlets
> do this).

Not sure about this ... fields are collected in a dictionary so the second
occurrence is probably discarded.

> Or to ask the question of all questions:  Is there something comparable (or
> better) to Java servlets?  I know I can solve my problem in Java but doing
> it in Squeak would be a great change to introduce Squeak/Smalltalk at my
> work :-)

A Comanche module could be seen as Servlet - although there's no loading
on demand yet.

  -Bert-