Empowering Images

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Feb 24 18:26:18 UTC 2000

Stefan Matthias Aust <sma at 3plus4.de> wrote:
> >3. Examples, examples, examples. The best way to learn how to do
> >something is to study something that already does it! :-)
>
> While I agree with all arguments I deleted from this reply and really
> apreciate the CCC initiative I'd like to add that I don't like the idea of
> simply adding more code to the system.  The examples should be modularized,
> easy to file in and also easy to file out.

If I bother to load some package at all, I'd really like to go ahead and
load all the documentation and examples, as well.  Well, perhaps I'd
pass on loading large HTML essays.  But for a development image,
why not have at least the example code ready at your fingertips?  Note that
Squeak stores code fairly efficiently due to its bytecodes, and furthermore,
example code is likely to remain a small percentage of any package's footprint
for the forseable future :)

Also, when you're ready for deployment, stripping all examples from an image
should be pretty easy, so long as example-only code gets stuck in an
method category named "examples".

Lex