fun and empowerment

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at IT-IQ.com
Wed Feb 9 08:43:27 UTC 2000

[From Craig, quite some time ago]
> 	Hmm. I guess this means that more Squeakers ought to go
> into management (this is left as an exercise for the reader :).

(Sorry for the delayed response, management concerns have meant that I've
been unable to catch up on my mailing lists for a couple of weeks :-).

It's an odd combination of mind-sets.  Squeak tends to attract creative
people.  The *good* managers, in my experience, are very creative; ordinary
managers (the PHB from Dilbert and so on) show utter lack of imagination.
If you have existing imagination-starved upper management, as so many
companies do, the creative people tend to stay away from management.  If you
have existing creative management, it's much easier for another creative
person to join them.

I'm lucky; I have a creative line manager.  Beyond him, things get sticky;
but as he's the centre manager, we're fairly much away from that.  Means I
can (be too busy to) Squeak and try to get the correct pointy-haired look at
the same time!

		- Peter
--
Peter Crowther, Training Manager, IT-IQ Warrington