Class comments (was Re: ProtoObject?)

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Wed Feb 9 16:58:52 UTC 2000

>Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:
>> However, we should first agree upon a common format.

This was my response to SMA's post.

>Don't forget that any comment is better than none; you recognize a good
>comment when you see it, but there's no "one size fits all". It's better to
>let people contribute what they have than to impose a common format and
>possibly harm the momentum of enthusiasm.
>
>Instead I suggest that contributed class comments (and perhaps good existing
>ones) are submitted publicly to the list: Thereby people will read them and
>the styles will converge toward a good one.

I didn't mean to impose any undue restriction.  I only thought that a template would ensure that the obviously useful stuff would get included, and that if a convention arose that ceratin things were covered, then you could start to count on where to find things.  Like any other convention, there is an upside as well as a downside.

I would have proffered a template already, except I have an idea for an active solution that could be of some value even before any comments get written.  That was the "heh-heh".

	- Dan