<No subject>

agree at carltonfields.com agree at carltonfields.com
Thu Feb 24 23:15:20 UTC 2000

> IMHO both are
> still not ready for developing modern GUI applications. I'd > even say that
> both system have design flaws that make it difficult if not > impossible to
> evolve the frameworks towards that goal. The polling of MVC > is just one
> example here.

I'd be obliged if someone would explain why polling is a fatal flaw?  Don't many other modern GUI systems, which largely follow MVC, also poll?  I can understand why avoiding the event loop is a good thing, and await seeing it truly done well.
  But here the issue is not whose pet framework is the best, but rather whether MVC or Morphic can be a useful basis for preparing a serious application.  Indeed, this message goes further than to say that MVC and Morphic aren't useful -- it says that they can't even be evolved into something useful.

Wasn't the preceding paragraph a highly overreaching overstatement of affairs, or should I really dump Squeak and go back to hacking Python?

We have already seen serious applications, to wit the best IDE with which I have ever worked -- all in MVC, and all reworked in Morphic.  Bob Arning developed, in response to a similar challenge, a simple Morphic framework for building a screens-based application which looks easily extensible, and certainly evolvable into a fine application.  I suppose that the point can be proved or disproved by actually seeing a serious application created or an effort cratered.

I really think it would really be best if we avoided the hyperbole, particularly when addressing ourselves to our new Squeakers.