Alice99

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Wed Feb 9 10:46:02 UTC 2000

Hey,

Just FYI: Squeak relies *heavily* on a single function that needs to
implemented by the graphics driver. If your driver doesn't support this
function directly, some weirdo Windows simulation code will be run and that
makes things *really* slow. If you wish to find out if you've a problem here
you might want to run the following code:

#(1 4 8 16 32) collect:[:depth|
	Display newDepth: depth.
	Smalltalk garbageCollect.
	Time millisecondsToRun:[10 timesRepeat:[Display forceToScreen]]].

Here are the results from my machine (PII 400Mhz, ATI Rage LT AGPx2),
running Squeak 2.7 in fullscreen mode on Win98:
1024x768x8:   (  68  251  410  716  724 )
1024x768x16:  (  65  601  684  458  424 )
1024x768x24:  ( 117  265  304  800  337 )
1024x768x32:  ( 114 1099 1192  898  239 )

Note the funky differences! For optimal performance you should run Squeak in
the same display depth as your card is in but sometimes there are subtle
differences so it's best to actually try it out.

[That reminds me: Somebody should write a benchmark tool that measures
typical operations (just like the above) so that one can get an idea of how
fast a squeaky system one is running on. Any volunteers?!]

  Andreas