"Smalltalk for C programmers"

Giovanni Giorgi giovanni.giorgi at mlab.disco.unimib.it
Thu Feb 10 09:14:47 UTC 2000

Excuse me,
    I'd like to have your opinion about a my small idea...
I think a book for learning Smalltalk from a C-language background would
help a lot the diffusion of
smalltalk way-of-thinking.
The reason are:

  1. C language is broadly used.
  2. C programmers who do not know C++ can have benefit form Smalltalk,
     without having to learn C++ (which is a C with a little of objects
     in it  and same error-prone of C:)
  3. Smalltalk is easy to understand even if you do not know OOP,
     because it is the first O.O. language, have few concept and is
     plain (=not as Java which is harder to understand, in my own
     opinion)
  4. Now there are free version of Smalltalk (Squeak, GnuSmalltalk,
     Dolphin, VW5i) with a well defined library, and they are NOT toys
     (java 1.0.2 perhaps can be considered a toy, with its little
     library).
  5. A good C programmers can became two-times productive (or more)
     using Smalltalk instead of C....but someone must show this to
     him...
  6. No one seems has written a similar paper/book, as far  I know...

What do you think?
// Giovanni Giorgi           mailto:giovanni.giorgi at mlab.disco.unimib.it

// Master Thesis  at  http://neptune.sal.disco.unimib.it:8080/platone/1
// Student (& exTutor) at Depart. of Computer Science of Milan, Italy.