Zope

agree at carltonfields.com agree at carltonfields.com
Mon Feb 28 21:15:12 UTC 2000

Be Wary!  AIDA is GPL'd, rendering it useless with virtually every commercial Smalltalk system ever created, and probably Squeak as well.  Recall that GPL's "viral" requirement arguably applies to all software in an image with which it is coextensive, making it virtually impossible to lawfully distribute the image thereafter.

Unfortunately, a more relaxed construction of GPL is becoming impossible in view of the recent issues concerning uses of John Carmack's GPL'd Quake Software in the QuakeLives project, which has sought to exploit every loophole available in the GPL to avoid open-sourcing server security codes.

I believe that, until there is a full-fledged GPL Smalltalk available or Smalltalk abandons the monolithic image, GPL'd code and Smalltalk will never coexist comfortably.

--
*** WE'VE MOVED!  Note the new phone numbers****
Alan Knight [|]                 knight at acm.org
The Object People               613.569.8855 (v)  613.569.9418 (f)