porting Refactoring Browser to Squeak

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Feb 21 16:18:12 UTC 2000

I've been working a little on porting the Refactoring Browser to Squeak,
and have posted what I did so far at:

 	http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~lex/squeak/rb.html

Mainly what is there is modifications to RB's parser so that it can deal
with Squeak code.  If time permits, I plan to keep moving in this
bottom-upward port.  This workought to complement Bob Arning's top-down
effort, and perhaps the two parts will meet in the middle one day.

Of course, the parser isn't the only thing that needs to be modified.
The other key things are:

	1. UI stuff (duh, but don't forget little things like #confirm:)

	2. stuff for *enacting* code changes.  In particular the logging code
seems to be unportable--different dialects have slightly different ideas
about changesets.

	3. Various little things like #isString, or #contains: versus
#anySatisfy:

In the long run, the first two items should probably be factored out.
(assuming, of course, that it proves feasible to havesingle, unified
code base instead of separate forks.)  The last item can largely be
dealt with by migrating RB code towards ANSI methods, and developping
ANSI-fication packages for most dialects.  I'm sure most dialects will
migrate towards ANSI, anyway on unimportant details like this.

Cheers,

Lex