Perl open source contest

agree at carltonfields.com agree at carltonfields.com
Tue Feb 1 19:10:54 UTC 2000

> Lex> FWIW, Python is basically Smalltalk without the GUI.
> > No.  Python is a hybrid OO language.  There are still "primitives" and
> "objects".  Unless something happened in a recent Python that lets you
> add methods to "3".

Worse (and, my talmudic training leads me to say, in some ways better), Python has some "supertypes," particularly strings, dictionaries and tuples, which are non-objects.  All, of course, can be wrapped, but in practice, they are not.

> Python also has a built-in syntax that will *not* fit on the back of a
> business card, unlike Smalltalk.  A full expression syntax with many
> levels of precedence.

Again, better and worse.  Python's message parameter scheme, permitting you to specify optional parameters with defaults and messages with arbitrary numbers of parameters, has some features often more convenient than the "build-a-call" hacks we do in Smalltalk.

> This puts Python in the C++, Perl, and Java camp.  Hybrid languages.
> Not Smalltalk.  And the difference is not just the GUI.

Certainly true, but in some sense false.  The lack of a meaningful, integrated GUI and IDE, however, is one of those things that tremendously distinguishes Squeak from Python.

On the other hand . . . :-)