[newbie] clipped method display in system browser

David N. Smith (IBM) dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Sat Feb 26 01:27:49 UTC 2000

At 14:02 -0800 2/25/2000, Jerry Balzano wrote:
>Hi - Being a "newbie" I have hesitated to report this, but since (a) I have
>replicated it on multiple machines, with multiple downloads of squeak 2.7,
>and since (b) it is interfering (psychologically at least) with my ability
>to learn Squeak, here goes:
>
>I have downloaded Squeak 2.7 (2.6 has same problem for me BTW) on my iMac
>and also on several G3 Macs and one 7300/200 PowerMac at the University
>where I work, and in all cases I find that browsing certain methods gives
>me a curiously clipped display in the the bottom pane.  Examples:

The Source file and/or the changes file have been corrupted by adding a CrLf where the Mac only expects a Cr (or is a lone Lf).

If you are using StuffitExpander, start it up by double-clicking and

* select Preferences... from the File menu.

* choose Cross Platform, and

* check Never.

This will assure that text files don't get screwed up in the future. Now, re-expand the downloaded files.

If you do work with files from other platforms, the program BBEdit (which has a free version) will let you work directly with them and keep track of line end characters so things don't get messed up. It will also convert formats.

Dave
David N. Smith
IBM T J Watson Research Center
Hawthorne, NY