Multi language support [SqDEV]

Lawson English english at primenet.com
Tue Feb 15 15:08:06 UTC 2000

On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 4:21 PM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr. <jecel at merlintec.com>
wrote:
>Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:
>> I'd even go so far and demanding multi-language support for the Squeak
>> system itself.  As you'd probably like to see Italian texts, I'd prefer
>> German menus and errors.  (Note, I don't want to translate any part of
the
>> Smalltalk language or its comments just the IDE)
>
>Well, I do want to (and did, back in 1984) translate the Smalltalk
language to
>Portuguese. The result was not nice, but I know a lot of people that will
never
>learn it otherwise.

My understanding is that Apple has reversed itself and is now proclaiming
that English-only AppleScript is the only way to go, even though the system
was designed from the ground up to allow language localization.

I don't understand why, and I can't get anyone to either confirm/deny OR
explain the reasoning, but one HOPES that they had some clue as to why they
changed directions (if they did).

"If everyone lived with a sense of wonder, their lives would be filled with
joy."
-Last words of Doug Henning, 5/3/47 - 2/7/00