How Do You Do Business Apps?

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Sat Feb 26 07:11:54 UTC 2000

On Fri, 25 Feb 2000 eknowle at concentric.net wrote:

> OTOH, why do we need to re-invent the wheel?  Python too lacks a native GUI but it seems to get along with Tk nicely.
> Has anyone investigated the possibility of a Tk binding for Squeak?
> -- , eknowle at concentric.net on 02/25/2000 at 8:36:34 PM

Yes, why *do* we need to reinvent the wheel. We already *have* a GUI :)

One *waaaaaay* more portable than Tk (which, sadly, on the mac side is
quite lacking). Tk is ugly, heavy, and not a lot of fun (IMHO, of
*course*). And I, personally, wouldn't want to program it. Doesn't run on
handhelds, either. And it violates the Squeak philospohy.

It's striking, isn't it, that Python has about a bazillion GUI
bindings? Tkinter is merely the most popular...

..actually, I don't even *know* that for sure. It's got the most docs, but
wxWindows might be ahead by now in acutal users.

It's reasonable to use Tk from Squeak, if that's what you want to do. But
it's pretty clearly not going to be central to Squeak.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.