Squeak (ST80) syntax

Leandro Caniglia caniglia at dm.uba.ar
Wed Feb 16 02:02:46 UTC 2000

Dan.--
    It's also a brainstorming kind of thing where outside
    ideas can be particularly useful.

My 2 cents:

In MathMorphs we've found contradictory the inclusion of a
starting 'self' when "writing on air". The same holds in
inspectors. If you are inspecting an Ellipse or writing it
on air, and you want to ask the Ellipse its position, then
there is no reason to write 'self position' when 'position'
alone describes the intention better.

Sometimes, the use of 'self' goes against the illusion
created by Morphic, where one enjoys the direct manipulation
of objects. If I have an Ellipse at hand, I want to say it
'position', and not 'self position'.

Another question regarding syntax changes was raised by
Andres Valloud a long time ago. Here is a copy of his mail: