Trouble building with MPW

Jesse Welton jwelton at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu
Wed Feb 16 15:32:04 UTC 2000

I've been working on some sound generation stuff that will require a
new primitive or two, and last night I finally decided to buckle down
and learn to rebuild the VM.  First off, I was extremely impressed
with how easy it was to find what I needed to know to change things on
the Squeak side.  At least, I think so, since I haven't been able to
actually get the thing built yet.

I got the change MPW support changeset from
http://www.gate.net/~werdna/SqueakMPW.html, generated the support
files and interpreter sources, installed MPW, and everything worked
fine except that I can't seem to give MPW enough RAM to compile
interp.c.  (When I boosted VM to >200MB, it would eventually complain
that it needed, say, 12MB more, and only 72MB were available.  Now
that's strange behavior!)

I remember reading something about needing to split interp.c to
compile under MPW, but couldn't find the relevant messages.  So I just
tried splitting it more or less in half.  This compiled fine, but
wouldn't link.  I'm sure I could track down the duplicate definitions
(and what have you), but it looks like alot of very tedious work to
little real benefit.  I hope someone can provide a more productive
solution.

Since I'm only working on the sound primitives, I don't need to keep
rebuilding the interpreter itself.  (Or do I?  I hope not.)  In that
case, perhaps some MPW VM builder could simply provide me with the
requisite object file to link in.  I'm running a fully-updated 2.7
image, with added elements to the PrimitiveTable and
AbstractSound class>>cCodeSources (or whatever it's called - I don't
have it in front of me right now).

Any assistance appreciated.

-Jesse