How Do You Do Business Apps? (Squeak/Pro Proposal)

Joey Gibson joeyGibson at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 25 04:34:54 UTC 2000

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 19:09:23 -0800, Duane Maxwell
<dmaxwell at entrypoint.com> wrote:

||| What I love about this thread is that there's this assumption about the
||| creation of "modern" or "serious" applications that means Squeak must act
||| like some sort of Visual Basic-like business application with combo-boxes
||| and checkboxes and so on.

	I don't think that's entirely what he meant. I'm the one who started
this thread, and while I've gotten some good, albeit
not-what-I-wanted-to-hear, responses, I have to pipe up again. I was
asking about how to create textfields and the like for "business" apps.
I was not looking for a GUI builder ala Dolphin. I don't have to have
that. (When I started with Java nigh on 4 years ago, there were no GUI
builders. So I built my UIs by hand. I did it that way until last year
when I finally found a GUI builder that actually made it easier for me.)
I would be happy just to know how to create a "form" in Squeak, put a
"textfield" on it and have a "button" that does something meaningful
when I click on it. That's all I was looking for; no VB here!

Joey

--
-- Sun Certified Programmer for the Java2 Platform
-- Pocket Smalltalk Tutorial: www.mindspring.com/~joeygibson/st/pstIntro