newbie questions

Russell Swan swan at dandenong.cs.umass.edu
Sat Feb 26 23:40:46 UTC 2000

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, Michael Ackerman wrote:

> Hi. I'm a beginner at Smalltalk, using Squeak and Winston's book on a
> Mac. Some questions:
> 1. If I can file-out using a pop-up menu, why can't I file-in the same
> way? How do I file-in?

The way I always do file-ins is, from World menu, open help... item. From
that, open 'useful expressions'. The 7th item in the useful expressions is
a fileIn. Replace tuesdayFixes.cs with the file name.

> 2. If I can ask an object whether it's an integer by isInteger, why
> can't I ask it whether it's a string by isString? How do ask whether
> something's a string?

Stefan answered this well.

> 3. How do arrange arrange that the various welcoming windows don't show
> when I open Squeak?

The box on the right hand side of the title bar will minimize the window
and put it away on the left side of the main window. If you want to delete
it instead, click the box on the left hand side.

> 4. How do I enlarge the original rectangle in which Squeak happens? If I
> use "full screen", I lose the Mac's menu bar.

Grab any portion of the frame and drag it to the size you want. Then use
'restore display' from the world menu.

Hope this answers your questions.

-Russell Swan