Time to revisit newsgroup status

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at IT-IQ.com
Tue Feb 22 10:24:46 UTC 2000

> From: David N. Smith (IBM) [mailto:dnsmith at watson.ibm.com]
> I don't track features in other mail readers. Is filtering
> fairly universal and workable now?

Probably 90%-95%.  I'm one of the 5%-10%; our corporate choice of mail
gateway virus scanner (MIMEsweeper --- don't touch it!) breaks any chance of
using filtering with Outlook.  Gets irritating when you come in to 120+
messages in the last 15 hours.

#include <imho.h> (if that's not too 'C'-like :-)

Overall, I agree with the general sentiments here.  Many modern mail readers
can do threading of mailing lists as if they were newsgroups, and the
membership requirement of the Squeak list means that we get little spam ---
in fact, one of the big problems with the Squeak list for me is that it's
fairly high-traffic and it's almost all interesting and/or useful!  Try
getting through 1000+ messages under those circumstances...

If we can create a *small*, *agreed*, *documented* set of [TAG]s for
filtering, I think the list will suffice.

		- Peter