Stepper

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Mon Feb 14 05:15:10 UTC 2000

>I've always lamented that there was no trace facility in any Smalltalk I've ever used.
>
>There are times when you want to simply trace to insure that a test script is invoking every method you thought (planned) it would and a trace. Just a list of "Class>>method;<statement#>" would have been very handy as the execution streams or as it bounces around.
>
>It also makes performance monitoring a tad easier.

Hi, Charles -

There is, of course ContextPart>>trace:, but are you aware of ContextPart>>tallyMethods:?
If not, try...
	ContextPart tallyMethods: [3.14159 printString].

It does almost exactly what you describe (even a bit more).

Also have you ever tried MessageTally>>tallySends:.  If not, it will blow your mind.
Try...
	MessageTally tallySends: [3.14159 printString]

    - Dan