Squeak (ST80) syntax

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Sat Feb 19 13:33:04 UTC 2000

At 01:26 17.02.00 +0000, Travis Griggs wrote:

>When I did this stuff, it was somewhat rough. I remember being a little
>perplexed about how to deal with this, because some behind the scenes
>stuff got kind of funky. Metaclass for example got turned into KindOfKind.
>And kindOfKind was what one had to send to get the class when on the class
>side. OTOH, one of the things that got brought home to me during these
>explorations was why people get excited about classeless OO systems. In a
>prototype
>based system the single dimensional interpretation of kind becomes a
>little more tractible.

I like the concreteness of what Travis' did - even if it simply was a
renaming.  For this simple model, I would like to suggest to ignore meta
classes (KindOfKinds).  IMHO meta classes are too abstract and I'd like to
replace them in this context with a Factory.

So if you have a Car, you can create a CarFactory (a kind of Factory) and
ask it to built car things.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  ...dancing on the Darkside of the Moon