[Proposal] Sourcefile Installation & Repair

Les Tyrrell tyrrell at canis.uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 2 03:29:09 UTC 2000

"Richard A. O'Keefe" wrote:

> If the standard installation process on a Mac (download the file, click
> on what you get and let it unpack itself) doesn't work, what _should_ I
> do to get a working current Squeak?

Find the place on your archive unpacker where the button is clicked
saying "convert line feeds" or some such thing.  Then turn that off.
Remember, Squeak is cross-platform, even if the archival tools want
to help us out.

However, this problem keeps coming up, so your suggestion that there
ought to be something going on during installation ( or even at image
startup ) that checks out the source files and corrects this transparently
is a good one- one can keep pointing out the fact that it's the
unpacking tools that are doing it, but that will not change the fact
that folks are still downloading Squeak, unpacking it, and then running
into problems- they see the filenames on the web, and hope for the
best when they download.  I doubt that many have seen the various warnings
that are posted on the download sites.  Also, finding those damned buttons
on the unpackers is not straightforward.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised
that many have run into this problem and were sure that they'd heeded
the warnings thinking that the software they were using didn't have that
option ( except it was hidden on some obscure dialog ).

Basically, one has to approach this with the philosophy that
"the customer is always right".

Any volunteers?  Should be a straightforward VM addition- a chance
to do some Squeaking and use the C translator too!

-les