Class comments (was Re: ProtoObject?)

Les Tyrrell tyrrell at canis.uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 10 17:05:36 UTC 2000

"Norton, Chris" wrote:

> Hi Peter & friends.
>
> On Feb. 10, 2000 at 9:42 AM, Peter Crowther [Peter.Crowther at IT-IQ.com]
> wrote:
> "Disclaimer: I'm a MVC user; Morphic still isn't responsive enough for me.
> Apologies in advance if the functionality I want has already been
> implemented in Morphic.
>
> I'd love to have tear-off and tear-apart panes.  Then I could display the
> class comment and, if I wanted to save it, I could tear off the pane with
> the comment and stick it somewhere else.  This isn't the same as a spawn, by
> the way; a spawn creates a new browser, whereas I'd want just this pane,
> with minimal decoration, remaining associated with the current browser.
>
> Tear-apart would work similarly.  I want to 'tear along the dotted line'
> between panes and place the panes anywhere on the screen, then collapse and
> expand them independently."
>
> The basic "tear off" behavior does indeed exist in Morphic, but you have to
> be very careful when you decide what to tear away.  This behavior could be
> vastly improved by creating a tear off wrapper, that could be used in such a
> way as to facilitate the "proper tearing" apart of a morph (like, a
> Browser).  If each significant "component" of a morph (e.g. the various
> panes on the Browser) were wrapped by a TearOffMorph, then you could do some
> splendid re-arranging of your tools without fear of compromising their
> integrity.

Along with that I would want some means to place these "tear-offs" into
some form of safe keeping ( perhaps a notebook-like object ).  I might
want this while browsing through a system in order to understand it-
gather bits and pieces here and there, and put them into a scrapbook
which in which I am also making my own observations about things I see,
and annotations which I am attaching to these "tear-offs".

At a certain point, I might feel inclined to share portions of my scrapbook
with a broader community, and would want to be able to "publish" them
to a place that others would see.  Or, given some scrap that I've got in
my scrapbook, I might want to see what others may have published about it.

And of course, it would have to work seamlessly no matter how often or not
one is connected to a network.

-les