How Do You Do Business Apps? (Morphic Design Philosophy)

Dan Shafer masterbuilder at visto.com
Mon Feb 28 16:10:18 UTC 2000

As I travel around speaking at and attending conferences and listening to developers, I'm finding that more and more of them are in fact using Web browsers as the UI to their apps. There is, of course, a great deal of merit to this approach, though it is not without its own problems, principally related to how to achieve anything like a fluid interface in the browser given its inherently static nature. DHTML is poorly supported cross-browser and Java on the client has no credibility.

So how do we do Squeak "applets" that allow us to extend the browser UI in some interesting and meaningful ways without getting into platform-specific look-and-feel issues? I'm just starting to dig deeply into Squeak, have become something of an addict, but haven't yet encountered the answer to that question.

Dan Shafer, Founder, Chairman, CTO, The WeTalk Network
dan at wetalknetwork.comm - http://www.wetalknetwork.com
Helping change the world through rich online communities