The Mysterious Secret Society

Duane Maxwell dmaxwell at entrypoint.com
Fri Feb 11 18:52:42 UTC 2000

All -

Just thought I'd put my two-cents in:

I think Dan's right on the money.  While this list will occasionally
diverge from the "official" path, overall I'd have to say this is the most
civil and informative mailing list I think I've ever subscribed to.  I have
yet to hear anyone label anyone else a Nazi (the most common conclusion of
a UseNet flamewar), and the tone reflects the deep commitment that so many
people have toward the project, both in and out of SqC.  I have also
learned a great deal just by hanging around here and reading through the
traffic on things about which I thought I cared little.

The SqC folks are not the same as the Linux folks.  We should not expect
them to be.  They do things differently, and most of us who hang out here
do so at our choosing, and we have learned to work around their very few
eccentricities.  They give us plenty of warning and chance to contribute
input on the future directions, and they've always responded politely to
both personal and private queries.

Frankly, I enjoy trying to guess what they're going to do next, and why.  I
suspect they're equally curious and speculative about what my group in
particular is doing.  But the last thing I consider them to be is a "secret
society" whose motivation is completely opaque - that's what _my_ group is.

As far as the Swiki is concerned, I agree it's getting a little crusty and
outdated - but I think it's the community's job to maintain it, rather than
wait around for the SqC guys to do it.  If you see something wrong, you
should take the time to fix it, for everyone's sake - that's why it works
the way it does.

The list should not be divided.

-- Duane

Duane Maxwell          dmaxwell (at) entrypoint.com
CTO                       http://www.entrypoint.com
EntryPoint, Inc.    (858)348-3040  FAX(858)348-3100

Information contained herein is my personal opinion
     and not necessarily that of EntryPoint.