xml.smalltalk.org and mod.smalltalk.org

Peter William Lount peter at smalltalk.org
Sat Jan 29 03:36:02 UTC 2000

Hi David,

There is a Smalltalk XML parser, although some ports are buggy, from
Indelv.com (link via http://xml.smalltalk.org) that you could play with.
There is no squeak version yet? After looking at it please let me know what
do you think of it?

All the best,

Peter William Lount
peter at smalltalk.org
http://www.smalltalk.org

----------
From: David Cramer <dacramer at videon.wave.ca>
To: squeak at cs.uiuc.edu
Subject: Re: xml.smalltalk.org and mod.smalltalk.org
Date: January 28, 2000 5:38 PM

I'd be very interested in playing with a Squeak-based XML parser. I
have been concerned for quite some time with the seeming lack of
XML-related Smalltalk activity.

Back in October, after just attended the XML World Conference in
Ottawa, I posted a message to this mailing list regarding a
conversation I had had with Dave Thomas, head of Object Technology
International (OTI, now an affiliate of IBM Canada), and with over 30
years of experience in the computer industry, elected in 1997 to the
IBM Academy in recognition of his pioneering work on object
technology. Thomas confirmed my suspicions when he said
matter-of-factly that Smalltalk was inherently superior to Java for
the kind of programming needed for large-scale XML data management,
but that Java had industry buy-in regardless of its immaturity and
shortcomings. Unfortunately, he suggested it might take a couple of
years for the realization to hit.

I have a strong instinctive feeling that the Squeak community can
play a pivotal role in the confluence of markup language technologies
and Smalltalk programming, to everyone's benefit. I've been learning
Smalltalk without a specific goal. An XML-related project in
Smalltalk for me would be something I could really devote some time
to.

Good luck with InDelv!

Regards,

David

--
David Cramer, Process Innovation Evangelist          87-1313 Border Street
PBSC Computer Training Centres (an IBM company)      Winnipeg MB R3H 0X4