j3 code generation [was: Re: The Crusoe and the future of Dynabook?]

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Mon Jan 24 08:16:21 UTC 2000

Daniel Joyce wrote:

> They do plan on allowing others to develop other ISA front ends, just
> that right now, they themselves only directly support x86.

I bet the Java ISA is #2 to come, either from transmeta or someone else. And
from that to Smalltalk shouldn't be too far.

Ian Piumarta wrote:

> The abstract insns can be used to generate three kinds of code:
>
> 1) "subroutine threading" to the C "abstract machine" implementations;
>
> 2) inined native code, ...
>
> 3) optimised native code ...
>
> Number (4) would be dynamic type feedback ...

I've wondered whether porgrammatic access to this generation will be
available from Squeak. Let me suggest:

J3Interface class>>iWantThisRunningVeryFastAndIWantItNow: aCompiledMethod

and enabling one to say that this superfast code for some critical method
should be stored permanently (in- or outside the cache) so as not to slip
out of the cache and be lost.

> PS: and now back to our regularly-scheduled silence...  ;-)

Duh, I didn't see that ;)

Henrik

< = > .