Of source code lost in eternity

Doug Way dway at mat.net
Tue Jan 11 02:21:07 UTC 2000

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Andrew P. Black wrote:

> The other thing that would be useful is some documentation that tells
> us about the existence of wonderful facilities like the archive of
> the mailing list (whee is it, anyway?), and  SQFIXES, and says how
> one gets something into SQFIXES.  (If its [FIX] or [ENH] or both that
> does the magic?

Both of these are documented on the main (gatech) Swiki, at
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak.1 .  (See Squeak Email List and Bug
Fixes Archive)

As a new subscriber, it's understandable that you might not think to look
there, though. (see below)

> And what is the difference between [GOODIE] and
> [ENH] anyway?

None, really. :-)

> Perhaps the introduction message that new subscribers
> get when they join the list could say these things?

You are absolutely right here.  I've been thinking of writing up a first
cut at a new subscriber indroduction message, and putting it on the Squeak
Email List page of the Swiki.  Then, after some changes/additions from
folks on the list, it could be included as an introduction email message
for all new subscribers.

The introduction message itself would include pointers to the Squeak FAQ,
the Swiki, squeak.org, email archive, bug fix archive, etc., as well as
list etiquette info.

> And perhaps it
> could be resent once a month or once a quarter to the whole list?

Not a bad idea.  Once a quarter wouldn't hurt.

- Doug Way
  dway at mat.net