Of source code lost in eternity

ted creedon ted_creedon at mentorg.com
Mon Jan 10 16:49:06 UTC 2000

All,

 I've been waiting for Configuration Management to be formally discussed.

The best thing to point to is Rational's ClearCase product which allows
CheckIn/Out, branching and merging, etc. Unfortunately it needs a Unix Box and
stores the S/W configuration in its own file system. And its expensive.

We would be well served if the leading lights took 2 or 3 months off and did an
OO Design of a similar system, possibly represented in Together (oi.com) which
could then be parceled out for coding. Anyway, its less effort in the long run
to get a good design methodology implemented and you need that for Zero Defect
Software anyway. Which is what Smalltalk is all about.

Or look at it this way: Where will the code be 5 years from now?

I have personally observed (in my former life) hundreds of millions of dollars
spent on software that was a great idea but had to be cancelled because the
number of bugs could not be reduced below 300. ( const nbugs = 300 )

No response necesssary.

Ted Creedon