Headless

Dwight Hughes dwighth at ipa.net
Fri Jan 14 21:29:37 UTC 2000

If you are on Windows, there are a number of command line switches for
the Win32 VM:

>From several messages by Andreas Raab:

* -memory: megaBytes
  for limiting or expanding the memory allocated for the VM at startup
  (the standard amount allocated by the Win32 VM is 16MB)
  (note the space)

* -headless
   Tells Squeak to run without a main window. However, for allowing
   at least some access to Squeak, an icon is added to the system tray.
   If you double-click this icon, the Squeak window will show up again.

* -log: logName
   Use the named file as log file for VM messages.

* -service: serviceName
   Install Squeak as Windows NT service. You will be asked for a couple
   of things such as if to start the service on system startup or if
   to run the service right now. You can modify these settings in
   the service control panel.

   NOTE: You MUST give the entire command line as if you want to run
         the image immediately. The installation process will add a
         few registry settings to determine the command line during
         system start up.
  Example: Squeak -memory: 4 -log: C:\VM.log -service: "Squeak Sample
Service" C:\Swiki\Server.image

  The "-service:" switch is fully supported on Win95 but has a little
  non-standard behavior. Squeak will show up in the system tray (just as
  when running -headless) because there is no such thing as a service
  control panel within Win95. If you want to remove a service from a
Win95
  system you'll have to remove the entry in the registry at

And last but certainly not least:
* -browserWindow: parentHWND
  you can get Squeak into any Win32 Window you want (and it turns on the
  security measures: the only files you can see and manipulate are those
  in and beyound the image directory -- everything else you can't see,
  touch, or destroy. (This is also true when you start the Win32 VM as a
  browser plugin.)

Are there any more command line switches I've missed Andreas?

I'll let others fill in the details for VMs on other OSs

-- Dwight