Symbol and Array printOn: Other sad experiments ;(

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Fri Jan 14 12:53:05 UTC 2000

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Stephane Ducasse wrote:

> when I inspected #(-) the element is a Character !!!!!!!
> I checked #(a) is not an array with the symbol #a but the character a

It's not. Sadly enough, but you're not the first one biten by
smartInspect.

> A step further:
> #- is a symbol ok this is good to know it. But
>
> #(#-) puts a character instead of a symbol
> #(#'-') put an character instead of a symbol

(#(#-) at: 1) class

answers Symbol.

> so in squeak #(-) = #(#'-') = #(#-)

which is correct, as is  #($-) ~= #(#-)

> This is the mess!

Yes, we definetly need to get rid of smartInspect - we need to be able to
trust inspectors.

HTH,

  -Bert-