GPL code in squeak? (was RE: [ENH] BDF fonts for squeak)

agree at carltonfields.com agree at carltonfields.com
Mon Jan 24 18:46:43 UTC 2000

> What needs to be done here?
> > 1. Package the GPL classes separately from the Squeak base > image and make
> them optional components/goodies, as done for VW.

That may not work -- as noted, RMS believes that to do so results in a merged package that is unusable under either license.  I believe he overreads the license to suit a desired result in this regard, but the exposure is probably unacceptable.

> 2. Ask Mr. Yasumatsu to provide a new license for Squeak

There is nothing to indicate he has not done so already.  The copyright notice, by itself says nothing.  Indeed, consent may have been given to incorporate it without limitations or restrictions of any kind.  An author/owner is entitled to license code under as many different licenses as he or she sees fit.  If the circumstances under which the permission to incorporate were given implies acceeding to the Squeak license, this is probably ok.

On the other hand, there should probably be some protocol, express or implied, whereby code submitted on the listserv is impliedly Squeakably licensed unless otherwise stated.  Disney's lawyers should counsel Disney as to the best approach in this matter.

> 3. Clean-room the "contaminated" parts

That *is* a solution, albeit a pain in the but.

> 4. Ignore the problem

Not best.

As a practical matter, I don't expect much friction by simply asking for consent to Squeak the code.  An e-mail is sufficient documentation, and should suffice, particularly where a work was developed in large part by a single author.