Safe Return

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Mon Jan 17 04:40:13 UTC 2000

Paul,

> Conceptually, Stephen's approach sounds right to me, and that
> leads to a suggestion:  since the EHS is in "core Squeak" now,
> might SqC be inclined to take Stephen's vm changes (after
> suitable vetting of course) into the main stream quickly?

I think this mainly depends on the overall impact of the modifications.
Quoting from the original post

> I fear that this solution comes at the cost of some performance.

I at least would like to know the performance impact of the modifications in
particular for those (probably 99.9%) of the cases where the return should
not be caught by a termination handler.

Since there are other alternatives (such as fixing block return to search
the entire sender chain before attempting to return) I would really like to
see a few numbers first.

  Andreas