Type Safety (was Re: fun and empowerment)

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Sat Jan 29 19:30:50 UTC 2000

>>>>> "garau" == garau  <garau at ar.ibm.com> writes:

garau> In Squeak a message send doesn't tell you which method will be
garau> invoked. You need to know the type of the receiver first. If
garau> after analyzing the whole program (a starting expression) you
garau> got only one particular receiver type, then you know the method
garau> that will be invoked at run-time. You can inline the method or
garau> replace the late binding with a static binding. Cool!!

I had a student in my Object Oriented Perl course yesterday tell me
that his employer won't let him use *any* "object oriented" languages,
because they build embedded systems that have to be FAA certified, and
FAA will only certify if you've done a complete call-flow analysis.

So instead, he has to do all his work in C (!!!!).  Gack.  Like that's
any better?

Somehow, I think this company he was from was not up on the latest
tools, or perhaps the FAA is being overly paranoid.