SqueakCVS project swiki up

Göran Hultgren gohu at rocketmail.com
Tue Jan 18 14:58:20 UTC 2000

Hi!

--- "Jecel Assumpcao Jr." <jecel at merlintec.com> wrote:
> Great page, Göran!

Thanks, I only started it and hopes some of you jump along!

> One thing I didn't understand was the part about supported platforms. On the
> server side, shouldn't the list be exactly the platforms for which there is a
> CVS server? On the client side, shouldn't the list be exactly the platforms on
> which Squeak runs?

Well, I did not write that - but I would like to say that server side is of course the platforms
supported by cvs - which is, if I am not incorrect, more or less UNIX.

The client side depends a little bit on our implementation. A first shot at this will probably be
a Squeak wrapper around the command line client cvs executable. That could of course limit the
client platforms. The next step would be to actually implement the cvs protocol itself. But that
is not trivial, even though it is well documented.

> Here is an interesting paper that explains CVS and then goes on to mention
> WebDAV and Delta-V:
>
>       http://www.webtechniques.com/archives/1999/10/whitehead/

I will check it out.

> How far we are from Xanadu :-(
>
> The part of configuration management that I am most interested in is the
> communication aspect (what is out there, who is working on what, what bugs have
> been reported, who fixed it, etc...) which is missing from CVS. If we had some
> simple browsers like those described in the "green book" I would be very happy.
> I don't think the change set browsers are quite the same thing, those I haven't
> used them enough to be sure.

Yes, this is also a part that I am very interested in, but I regard it as "the next level". First
we need a solid repository and CVS fits the bill. Both technically and philosophically
(OpenSource).

regards, Göran

=====
Göran Hultgren, gohu at rocketmail.com, icq#:6136722
GSM: +46 709 472152, http://www.bluefish.se
"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you.
Then they fight you. Then you win." -- Gandhi