Squeak and CM (was Re: Of source code lost in eternity)

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Thu Jan 13 19:01:06 UTC 2000

Göran" Hultgren wrote:

>Well, what about CVS? I have recently "scanned" the market for these
>things and came to the conclusion that CVS is a very attractive option
>(for that customer at least - Java coding).

I think, it's also attractive for Smalltalkers.  In contrast to other tool
that have a checkout/lock/checkin cycle, CVS is more like ENVY (that famous
both loved and hated team tool for VisualWorks and VisualAge Smalltalk).
In CVS you get your local copy of all files from the server.  You can edit
any file you like and modify your local copy.  Then you can commit changes
to the server.  The server will only allow commits if there were no other
changes in the meantime.  Otherwise, you have to update your local copy
which makes the server merge the changes into your local copy.  Then it's
your job to deal with the conflicts and try again to commit.

The only problem I see is that Smalltalk change sets or fileouts aren't
very well suitable for a file and line-based too like CVS.  One would
probably want to change at least the line-end convertion to a format that
is recognized by CVS (unix LF-style probably) and perhaps create one file
per class.  If you really don't care about server space, I'd even recommend
to make each method a file and place all files of a class in one directory.
 Then you get exactly the same features as with ENVY I think - and probably
the same hunger for hard disk space :-)

>1. If we were to build something in Squeak - why reinvent the wheel?

<cynic>because it seems to be the Squeak-way to do so</cynic> :-)

>We should instead try to build something that does not exist yet.

Why not use what is already available?

>Think for example how cool it would be to be able to see directly in
>your browser that some guy on the other side of the globe is mucking
>about in some base class and trying to improve aspects of the system!

Nice idea (last OOPSLA, two brothers (I only remember that they were
Germans at the moment) demoed such a system based on two collaboration envy
systems in

>If we need a robust solution NOW why not just build a CVS client in Squeak?

Because somebody needs to start this ;-)

>But hey, if there is a superior solution that we could use TODAY,
>why not [using it]?

Yes.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  Bevor wir fallen, fallen wir lieber auf.