[ENH] (?) Pretty Printing

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Fri Jan 21 01:10:49 UTC 2000

Doug Way wrote:

> Basically, I really like the idea of pretty printing (standard
> formatting), but I think the pretty printing in Squeak just isn't quite
> "there yet".  If it were further improved, I'd probably use it all the
> time.
>
> I'd look forward to any improvements that Les and/or Dean might make.
> (Heck, maybe I'll work on it at some point.)  Of course, an ideal pretty
> printing format is a somewhat subjective thing, and if someone is actually
> moving it forward, it'd be interesting to have some discussions on
> readability, indentation, etc., on this list.

I think there needn't be just *one* ideal format, but such a discussion
could give hints how to format to get mostly readable code with such a
formatter - and not readable code should be a hint to think about the
programming style then.

I would like to have some parameters which control the behavior of a
pretty print formatter and allow different styles of formatting:
preferably with very few good default styles.

I also would like to have a _standard_ formatting style resulting from a
deep discussion to use for code examples in e.g. eMails, tutorials and
books. Then there would coexist _one_ commonly used style and the
alternative styles for individual use.

P.S.: 'I would like to have ...' denotes wishes, not claims.
--
Stephan Rudlof (sr at evolgo.de)